Dr. B.R Ambedkar a.k.a Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, popularly known as Babasaheb, was an Indian jurist, economist, politician and social reformer. Since it’s his birthday today, we thought of sharing a few lesser-known facts about him.
08. Dr. Ambedkar’s actual name was AMBAVADEKAR.
But his teacher, Mahadev Ambedkar, who was fond of him, changed his surname from Ambavadekar to his own surname Ambedkar, in school records.
07. Ambedkar was independent India’s first law of minister.
He was also appointed as the chairman of the constitution drafting committee.
06. Ambedkar was the first Indian to pursue an Economic Doctorate degree abroad.
05. Ambedkar was the one who changed working hours in India from 14 hours to 8 hours for labourers.
04. Ambedkar played a key role in establishment of Reserve Bank Of India (RBI) in 1935.
03. Ambedkar objected the decision of Gandhi to call the untouchable community as Harijans
02. Ambedkar was opposed to article 370 of the Indian constitution, which gives the special status to the state of Jammu & Kashmir
01. In 1955, Ambedkar had suggested the division of both Madhya Pradesh and Bihar for better governance.
45-years later, in the year 2000, states of Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand were formed.